Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Thursday, August 20, 2009

GIVE ME A NOD AND A SMILE

Do you like to be acknowledged when you are awaiting customer service? We fill most of our prescriptions via mail but occasionally we have to fill a prescription locally. We stopped using pharmacy services from Walgreen's because they were rude and made too many errors. We started using a local pharmacy and have been pleased overall.

This drug store is well staffed. They have 3 to 4 Pharmacists on duty all the time as well as 5 to 6 Pharmacy clerks on duty all the time. My complaint is their lack of recognition when I approach their drive-window or even the counter inside. You do not know if they realize you are there. Outside I do not want to honk, but I will rev my engine hoping someone will look up and nod, so I know they know I'm there. At the counter I will cough but they still won't look. Even though they are busy at the moment, how much could it slow them down to simply look at me and smile?

Yesterday I sat in their drive in lane for ten minutes and stared inside to see them all looking away from me. Suddenly a young clerk came running to the microphone with a big smile on her face and I thought finally. Only she was yelling at grandma who had just pulled up on the lane next to me. They had a long, personal conversation and then grandma drove away. The clerk did not even acknowledge me as I awaited another five minutes for someone to ask what they could help me with.

Maybe this pharmacy and a few other companies you might know, need to add a personnel position. Why not create a job for a Nodder and Smiler.

11 comments:

  1. I think that's totally unacceptable. There is nothing that pisses me off more than bad customer service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's the sort of service I expect in the UK but not the States. I've always found American clerks much warmer and more helpful than sales staff in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS If they don't give you a nod and a smile, you can always give them the finger ;)

    Joey, I hate to say it, but our customer service experiences in the UK have been universally HORRIBLE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to tell them what happened. HOw you waited and how the clerk spent time talking to a relative. There is no excuse for that type of rudeness. Being too busy to look up and smile I can understand, but being ignored...no way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie,

    Have you ever noticed when you are eating in a restaurant and you have a mouth full of food they always come along and ask if everything is all right, BUT when it is time for the check, they are no where to be found.

    We had a waitress once and when we finished and wanted our check, we could not catch her eye. Every time we looked her way to ask for the check she looked away and did not see us.

    Finally, we stood up and she came over. My Husband said," Didn't you see us trying to get your attention?" Her reply will amuse you as it did us. She looked at him and said " Oh, I thought you wanted more coffee or something."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate when they do that at fast food places too. They all have their back to you when you need a refill or to return your cold fries. They are worse when it's my daughter. Makes me so mad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just going to blog about GOOD customer service because it is so rare. I go out of my way to let the person know how much his/her extra care and attention means to me. In some cases we even become friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have worked both retail and food service and at the places I worked at (even my receptionist job now) they all tell you that you MUST acknowledge the customer. It is not only polite and makes the customer feel "special", it makes the customer know you are aware they are there. For the not so honest customers it is a deterent to theft among other things. It should be part of their customer service training for them to acknowledge you and say "I'll be with you in a minute" or " I'll be with you as soon as I'm finished here". I would speak to the Pharmacy manager and let him know that you would like to be acknowledged. He should do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just poor service..period!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:09 PM

    Not being acknowledged pisses me off more than anything. A nod will do. Once, I was standing there FOREVER and the clerk nodded to the woman BEHIND ME to come forward!!!!!

    I could not believe it!!! I said "DO I LOOK LIKE I'VE BEEN WAITED ON?"

    Oh, talk about pissed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You mean you have drive in chemists?

    Ours is just a little one although it's always really busy and the people are always nice. They serve you immediately, the only time you wait is for the prescription to be made up. They've also installed an iced water bomb thingy so you can help yourself to a drink while you wait. Nice touch.

    If they weren't nice I'd go somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com