Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

SAILORS AND UMBRELLAS

My grandfather put me on a bus when I was twelve to send me home. He was very nervous about his granddaughter traveling alone but the bus was only stopping in small towns and I promised to remain in my seat on the bus. I also promised not to speak to strangers. From my window seat I was waving at Grandfather feeling a bit sad to leave my grandparent’s home after a week of being spoiled. As I was waving a look of terror come across my grandfather’s face. I turned to see a handsome sailor taking the seat next to me. Needless to say, I smiled but Grandfather started moving toward the bus door as the bus started moving out of the station leaving my dear helpless grandfather staring at our dust.

That nice sailor talked to me telling many interesting stories, was very polite and I fell in love that day.

High school yielded many trips with various organizations and my mother always chaperoned. There was an annual FHA (Future Homemakers of America) trip that kept us overnight and we got to stay in a big city hotel. There was a Navy training station nearby and it seems the hotel was always teeming with handsome sailors. My mother would sit outside our hotel door in the hallway with her umbrella. She planned to use that to fight off the sailors. If we had been allowed a choice we would have been sneaking out or sneaking those guys in our room like crazy.

I was fifty-two years old when I met Ron. I knew he was retired from the Navy but you would have thought he was still on active duty. He had many tales of the sea and captured my heart with his stories. Ron joined the Navy in 1957 and could have been my sailor on the bus from my childhood. My parents met him and both liked him but my mother was leery. Her first threatening words to my new fellow were, ”I still have an umbrella and know how to use it.”



By the way, have you met Khia? You should go HERE to get acquainted with this magnificent fellow.


Today’s contest clue: You can find this blogger in North Carolina surrounded by flowers.

15 comments:

  1. lol What a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad was in the Marine Corps for 20 years, so I loved on bases most of my life. There is just SOMETHING about a man in uniform that is so incredibly romantic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet. I love your mom's quote, and I love how you met your sailor at 52. I love guys who can tell a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You lovely story reminded me of a very similar incident that happened to me when I was 13. I will have to blog about that trip some time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the uniform that gets ya:):) Glad you found your soul mate.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Ron is your man, no?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh RK, Ron is my man yes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes there's something about a sailor as the song goes.

    My Dad was in the Royal Navy and I loved his bell bottoms!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely story, GA! Your Mom tickles me..lookin' out for her little girl:) Moms are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this story...and it gives me hope for the future...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha!What a neat story, Granny Annie. And you ended up getting your sailor in the end. That's a really happy ending!

    Take care!

    Renie

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great story. Who doesn't love a man in uniform! And you found yourself a sailor!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having been married first to a marine and then seven years ago as a widow, marrying a retired Navy Commander, your story left me smiling. I too wonder what it would have been like to have met Bob when he was a young Midshipman.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good stories!! I, too, fell for many a Navy man - and I married one!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a great story. oh your grandpa sounds adorable!

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com