Slim and Franke

Slim and Franke

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

DID THIS EVER HAPPEN TO YOU?

It happened to Mama Cass and she died. It happened to President Dubya Bush and he was made a laughing stock. It happened to me yesterday and no one was laughing. I choked on a piece of fish in the restaurant and the next thing I knew people were standing around my lifeless body and my poor spouse was trying to figure out how he was going to get me off the floor to perform the Heimlich maneuver.

It was amazing how quickly all this happened. First I started to cough and that is my memory of the incident. Ron takes it from there. The next step was for him to watch me stop breathing and pass out. Thankfully my airway was cleared perhaps by the fall and I opened my eyes to what seemed a million eyes staring back at me. My husband's anxious eyes and lots of waiters and waitresses confused eyes. Everyone was holding a glass of ice water for me.

The restaurant was Red Lobster and I had told Ron earlier, when I was still enjoying the delicious meal, that when I died I hoped I would be at Red Lobster. Talk about "be careful what you wish for".

That was a happy ending to an almost tragic moment and I feel truly blessed.

Another more humorous embarrassing moment of mine is on The Elder Storytelling Place today.

16 comments:

  1. Oh! Granny Annie, I am so happy that you are all right.That must have been a frightful scare.

    Thank God the fall or whatever cleared your airway so that you could breath.

    I just read your story at Elder Story Telling and I laughed so hard I almost choked.......Some funny story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Nancy said!

    We ate at Red Lobster last week, but luckily, I had no such incident. I did almost faint yesterday as I exited the hot tub at the health club. That bothers me, as we have been using hot tubs for 30 years and that never happened before. I guess I just stayed a bit too long.

    Glad you are okay!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy,

    At our hospital gym we have a hot tub and they warn you not to stay in more than 15 minutes.

    I hope that's all it was; staying in a bit too long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are Ok - can't imagine how scary that must be -

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh!! I am so glad you are okay. Can't imagine what that must have been like....all the pictures you see the person is standing choking and someone comes along and does the whatever manuever and poof....all is well. Maybe smaller bites????

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should write suspense novels! I was on the edge of my seat...and I'm so happy it ended well.

    I was just telling my husband we haven't been to Red Lobster in a while...I think that might be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa!!!!!! That was scary....Don't make any more wishes for dying.....I don't think I am going to Red Lobster any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AHHH I am so glad you are ok!!!! its one of my fears!!!! I get the willies thinking about what happened, I am so glad you are ok!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Lucy, Judy, JeanMac, Scarlet Nancy and both Monicas for your sincere well wishes. It was truly a harrowing moment and, yes, nothing like you see on TV. They don't tell you what to do when the person falls to the floor and they always indicate it was a large bite of food. This was actually a tiny bite of fish that choked me. I told Ron I hoped I didnt' suffer brain damage from the lack of oxygen to my brain and his expression told me that ship has sailed. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh thank heavens you are ok. That is scary!

    I MISS Red Lobster. It was the the place me and my husband went on our first date. We used to go their each year for our anniversary. They don't have them where we live now. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Uggh, I don't know where my comment went!
    Anyway, I'm very sorry that happend to you and I'm glad that you are okay. Scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How scary!!! I am SO glad your airway cleared, and that this incident did not turn out horribly.
    It certainly could have, and I know you must be very grateful for every breath you are taking.
    I bet your hubby was scared to death!
    It's good to know you are alive and well!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, everyone down to the Red Cross and learn how to do the Heimlich whether lying or standing!
    When we redid our certification for CPR at the hospital, they told us that most people get up and head for the bathroom when choking and wind up dying, because dobody is in there to Heimlich them.
    The reason for limiting hottub time is that your blood vessels dialate to cool your body core down and your blood pressure drops making you dizzy. You aren't supposed to go in tubs when you have high blood pressure, but we had one and I never had a problem ... other than being awfully hot after being in it. (Even when it was 8° with snow on the deck)

    ReplyDelete
  14. NO MORE BLOGGERs leaving me --- PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, that is so scary! I can only imagine how scared your poor husband must have been.

    I'm so glad you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh what a horrible experience for you!! I am so glad u are alright!!
    The very same thing happened to my mother...on a peice of steak in a resturant...she started to choke, stood up in panic...but thankfully her husband grabbed a hold of her, just before she passed out..he did the Heimlick on her, having only learned it properly a few months before, in a first aid course.
    She was fine, but quite shaken..they left the resturant and she broke down and cryed in the car.
    She found , like I am sure u have also, that it seems one can be subject to choking easily after that...my step dad Ben, her husband called his first aid instructure the next day and thanked him for having taught him how to save his wifes life.

    I am so glad, u are ok!!!!

    ReplyDelete