Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Sunday, August 27, 2023

SUNDAY TALKING...

 TO CHURCH OR NOT TO CHURCH, THAT IS THE QUESTION?

I am the daughter of a Methodist minister.  Our family attended church every Sunday morning and evening.  We also were there every Wednesday night and then for special events during the week. Every Sunday there is an itch that arises in me and a pondering of "Is today a church day for me?  Nope not today. "

Last Sunday a friend encouraged me to attend our local church because there was a fellowship dinner.  Another friend of mine was in town and invited me to lunch with her, so I invited her to church for a free meal for both of us (our payment was sitting through a long sermon and adding to the collection plate.)  The meal was wonderful and I thought about how much my dad loved church dinners.  All the women fawned over him and tempted him with the dishes they brought.  There was always a wondering on my part about what else they might be trying to tempt him with...  My mother could keep those women in line with one look.


 

5 comments:

  1. Lol...I bet she could...just like My Mom!
    We need to get to church more often...I forgot about all the good cooking that goes on! lol
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. A minister once asked me about my religion and I told him I went to the Unitarian-Universalist church. He replied something to the effect that he'd asked about my religion, not what building I might visit on a Sunday. I guess he decided I was a lost soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, church is not an option, it's a longing to be with The Lord's people in a purposeful and meaningful way. All of the fruit of the spirit are relational, and how to better express and develop them than through body life with your church?

    Anyway, yes, the cooking is usually fabulous, too. If you feel them, they will come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet she also kept her children in line, with that look.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three times a week and for special events? That's far too much for me.

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com