Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Monday, November 09, 2020

OLIVE OIL TOO

 


 Popeye the Sailor Man really existed.....
 
His real name was Frank "Rocky" Fiegel. He was born in 1868 in Poland. He was a retired sailor contracted by Wiebusch's tavern in the city of Chester, Illinois, to clean and maintain order. He had a reputation to be always involved in fighting, so he had a deformed eye ("Pop-eye"). He always smoked his pipe, so he spoke only with one side of his mouth. He loved to be around children. There is no accounting of his imaginary adventures which boasts about the exploits of his physical strength, ensuring he never lost a fight. The author of Popeye, Elzie Crisler Segar, born in Chester, met Frank when where the young man was to listen to their stories and years later honored him with the character Popeye the Sailor Man. Olive Oil also existed, she was Dora Paskel, owner of a grocery store in Chester. She is also described to dress just like Olive Oil. Segar kept in touch with Frank and had always helped him with money. Frank and Popeye also carried some inherent features like courage, chivalry and virility.

 

16 comments:

  1. That's interesting and a great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fascinating - and new to me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard it before either.

      Delete
  3. Wow fascinating ! One of my favorite characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They just left out his love of spinach. Guess the writer didn't know that part.

      Delete
  4. And there I thought he was the figment of someone’s imagination. Wonder how the Popeyes and spinach connection came about? Spinach is not one of my favourite foods

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love spinach but never felt stronger because of it. I do like it with boiled egg sliced over it and a little vinegar on it.

      Delete
  5. That is so interesting and I am glad he was taken care of. He did make me a fan of spinach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and I wonder if he ever knew the character she created about him and Olive.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. With all the interesting things you find, I am glad I found an interesting one for you.

      Delete
  7. Interesting that Popeye and Olive Oyl were based on real people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never knew such a thing before. Wish they had a photo of the Olive Oyl (or Oil).

      Delete
  8. I yam what I yam...

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...and that's all that I yam. Ha, ha, ha...

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com