Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Friday, February 24, 2012

# 6 UNCOMFORTABLE UPDATE



This is post number 6 in the marathon.


One of the highlights of my day was to begin with the trip out to feed the cats.  Vern would come bounding to greet me with great excitement.  It seemed she was leading me to the dish in case I might have forgotten where it was.  She would purr and let me scratch her behind the ears.  She was our "forever kitten".  Her mother was David and Vern was the exact clone of her mother except Vern never grew beyond kitten stage.  The other kittens born around the same time as Vern quickly tripled her size.

Cats come and go around here.  I never know how many I will have to feed in the morning, but I always knew Vern would be there.  One morning about four weeks ago, Vern did not show up for breakfast and I can only hope someone thought she was a kitten and scooped her up to take her to a good home.  The other cats seem to sense my lack of enthusiasm for feeding time these days.



8 comments:

  1. Maybe a really tough mouse got the best of her. OR she found a better deal over at the neighbors. Yeah, that it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking Vern may be off "sewing her wild oats" and she'll return soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cliff -- Most of our barn cats do live equally between us and the neighbors. Most will eventually stay at the neighbors because I'm pretty sure they include cat nip in their treats.

    Bonnie -- It would be a thrilling day if Vern did reappear. I know her mama David misses her too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted but for some reason I do not see it here...anyway Guinea hens is the name I was trying to say. My hubby wants to get these for the tick population as they are known for going after them big time...but now that we have a pair of nesting hawks!!,,

    thanks for the link to the waxwings, loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We lost our Pepper, a gray tabby much like Vern but larger, several months ago. One day she just didn't come home. The worst part is not knowing what happened to her.

    I hope your Vern comes home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have another friend who does that. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry Vern went looking for Jack too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tabor -- The guineas not only keep down the tick population, they eliminate the number of scorpions that could have gotten in the house. We had some and have had none since acquiring guinea fowl. You cannot be adverse to obnoxious noise if you get guinea fowl because they are also wonderful watch dogs and will loudly (and I mean loudly) warn of any intruder.

    cube -- Our cat population has grown to as large as fourteen and as small as two. We never know from one day to the next how many we will have.

    Chatty Crone -- Almost everyone around here feeds the cats and we only feed a little so they will do their jobs of catching mice and other unwanted vermin.

    Snaggle Tooth -- You could be right. Vern never actually met Jack so she probably heard his the other cats and chickens tell his tales of grandeur and went to meet the legend in person.

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com