Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Saturday, December 03, 2011

WEEKEND LAUGHTER



I have not always worn a wig because I needed one.  There was a time in the late 60's when women wore wigs to be fashionable. 

One of my early banking jobs was on the check order desk.  The customer's checks were 
stored in the basement of  the bank.  If a customer needed a new book of their personalized checks, their order slip would be placed in a dumbwaiter tray and lowered to the basement where Orlin would fill the order, place it in the dumbwaiter and raise it for me to give the customer their checks.


This particular day I had lowered the tray and had leaned a bit too far into the shaft.  My head caught on the frame and knocked my wig into the basement.  Orlin reached in for the check order and encountered a furry creature instead.  He screamed like a girl which echoed into the shaft and thus sounded loudly throughout the bank lobby.  Everyone turned toward the sound and saw me standing there, wig-less with my real hair tightly pincurled to my head.  I still have nightmares about this and you can bet Orlin does too.  LOL


Share one of your funny, embarrassing and horrifying moments in the comments and I will move it into this post.

Delete
Blogger Bonnie (BornInaZoo) said...
I went back to my original post of this to cut & paste it ...

ExH & I were traveling with two of his brothers and their wives on their bikes, my brother and my sister's husband in my Jeep (towing the cargo trailer), myself and my ex on his Harley, and two of my ex's friends on their respective bikes. That day on the road was long, hot, and grueling. We had one bike break down. I'm not sure you'd call it luck, but a friendly rancher with a :::smelly::: horse trailer transported the motorcycle and two travelers to the next town where there was a Harley dealer. Another biker had the trailer he was towing flip causing him to lose control of his bike. It was a minor crash for the rider but the trailer was toast. When we arrived at the designated hotel, I went to a nearby vending machine to get something to drink while the group was checking in to the hotel. When I returned to the hotel desk to find my partner, I gave him the usual 'love grab' on his butt cheeks. Much to my surprise, his brother's butt looks the same as his! Everyone laughed hysterically 'with me' for 15 minutes (and at least three people had to make mad dashes for the restroom) while I turned every shade of red possible. I swear my cheeks could have melted a polar ice cap.

It was a great stress relief for a lot of people at that moment. As I a said, it was a rough day on the road.

These days I shy away from PDAs.
10:02 AM

 Blogger Riot Kitty said...
It relates to hair, actually... when I was a business reporter, I went into an editorial board meeting with some federal energy executives. Note that I was the only female in the meeting. One of them I had not seen for a few months, and had a new hairstyle. I blurted out, "Ed! I haven't seen you with your new hair!" He just looked at me and said, "Same hair."

Now, for a girl, "new hair" means new hairstyle, but for a man in his 60s...well, you get the idea.
12:54 PM

Lynn said...

27 comments:

  1. I don't care who ya are, that's funny. Really funny!
    But just so ya know, I would have been nice and wouldn't have laughed.....too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read further down and am sorry to see that someone got your goat. You seem to be the queen of names but I would have named him 'Butt.'
    Also, I will predict the neighbors dogs will return. Everyone loves chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Anne I can see it all now.....As for me...mum is the word:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went back to my original post of this to cut & paste it ...

    ExH & I were traveling with two of his brothers and their wives on their bikes, my brother and my sister's husband in my Jeep (towing the cargo trailer), myself and my ex on his Harley, and two of my ex's friends on their respective bikes. That day on the road was long, hot, and grueling. We had one bike break down. I'm not sure you'd call it luck, but a friendly rancher with a :::smelly::: horse trailer transported the motorcycle and two travelers to the next town where there was a Harley dealer. Another biker had the trailer he was towing flip causing him to lose control of his bike. It was a minor crash for the rider but the trailer was toast. When we arrived at the designated hotel, I went to a nearby vending machine to get something to drink while the group was checking in to the hotel. When I returned to the hotel desk to find my partner, I gave him the usual 'love grab' on his butt cheeks. Much to my surprise, his brother's butt looks the same as his! Everyone laughed hysterically 'with me' for 15 minutes (and at least three people had to make mad dashes for the restroom) while I turned every shade of red possible. I swear my cheeks could have melted a polar ice cap.

    It was a great stress relief for a lot of people at that moment. As I a said, it was a rough day on the road.

    These days I shy away from PDAs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cliff -- Oh I hope you are wrong about the dogs. We drove by their house the other evening and there wasn't a sign of the animal. Maybe their daughter came and got them. I sure hope so. by the way, we found hay for $10 per bale. What a bargain, huh? LOL

    Changes in the wind -- I truly believe you are a keeper of secrets.

    Bonnie (BIZ)-- That is indeed going on the post. How embarrassing...and funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha that's funny. Saturday's are very busy for me, but I'll give it some thought. I've had more than my share of embarrassing moments really!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! That is hilarious! I remember a time when wigs were big too. I have a friend who looked like Whitney Houston every time she wore hers. I looked odd when I wore mine so I gave it up.

    Poor Orlin! I'm glad he didn't have a heart attack.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It relates to hair, actually... when I was a business reporter, I went into an editorial board meeting with some federal energy executives. Note that I was the only female in the meeting. One of them I had not seen for a few months, and had a new hairstyle. I blurted out, "Ed! I haven't seen you with your new hair!" He just looked at me and said, "Same hair."

    Now, for a girl, "new hair" means new hairstyle, but for a man in his 60s...well, you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LL Cool Joe -- Surely you have something to share.

    Kay -- Yes some of those wig were pretty big. Most of the women in teh office were wishing Orlin had a heart attack because he was a bit of a sexual predator in the work place.

    Riot Kitty -- Shouldn't your middle name be "blurted out"? It seems to often get you in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness - I'm giggling over here! After reading your comment about Orlin's predilections, it's too bad he didn't suffer more than just a fright!

    I'm trying to remember one of my many embarrassing moments and I'm drawing a blank (probably shoved them too far down into that old pit of please-let-me-live-this-down!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! Yes, probably. There are times where my little social editor just doesn't seem to work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that wig loss was horribly embarrassing! At least you weren't bald at the time!

    I've got some pretty bad ones, but am not willing to publish them... Really tired n on benedryl at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rae -- It is funny now but no so funny then. LOL

    Talon -- It is easy to forget those embarrassing moments isn't it?

    Riot Kitty -- Your "social editor". Love it.

    Snaggle Tooth --Actually I believe I look better bald than I did with all the hair crammed and pinned under a wig. LOL I am starting to worry about you. What's the benedryl for? Hope you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Talon -- P.S. All of the women hated to have to actually go in the basement for fear of being trapped and mauled by Orlin. He was all hands.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - sounds like Orlin deserved that. But that is a truly mortifying moment for you.

    I'm sure there have been a zillion things for me, but the only one coming to mind is when I was a teenager and walking up some steps in front of a young man I fancied and I tripped and fell UP the steps in front of him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lynn -- Oh yes and just when you pray no one is looking. Of all people, a boy you "fancied". (Now that's a lost term.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. and hence was born the phrase - she flipped her wig

    in my last month of pregnancy I was huge
    swollen and grotesque
    I was still working and commuting via subway into NYC
    I got stuck in the turnstile
    half in and half out
    I remember one cop saying - "we might have to deliver the baby to get her out of there"
    they had to dismantle the turnstile
    all in front of rush hour NYers

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dianne -- Okay, your story takes the cake. OMG! and didn't you just hate it when people would say there is nothing more beautiful than a pregnant woman?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Annie,

    I also used to wear a wig when they were fashionable years ago.
    I used to hate it when anyone would ask if I was wearing a wig .

    One day a fellow came up to me in the office and very loudly asked, "Are you wearing a wig?"

    Just as loudly I replied," Yes,
    I am,(touching my hair)but this is my real hair. I wear the wig underneath."

    The foolish and puzzled look on his face made the whole office erupt in laughter.

    He never asked again. In fact,as I recall, he never even spoke to me again....

    ReplyDelete
  20. How horrible that we laugh at other's misfortunes, but this blog made me laugh first thing Monday morning, so that you all for that. I guess I'm like the majority of the others, in that I have a mental blog of anything truly embarrassing that happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was horrifying I know because a similar incident happened to us. My in-laws and our family went out to dinner. Hubs held son who is not 36 he was 2 - in a waiting area. A busy waiting area. My son grabbed a women's wig off - he never pulled hair either. He cried at what he had done - my hubs was mortified - the women - out on a date - whipped the wig right out of his hand and plopped it back on her head.
    My dear MIL and I were laughing our head off on the other side of the room.
    And where did we sit? Right next to that woman and her date.
    Love, Chatty
    Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nancy -- When someone asks me "Is that your real hair?" I always say "Yes, it's my hair." After all I own it don't I? However I might have to start saying I wear the wig under my own hair. That's a good one.

    Bonnie -- I'm willing to bet you've got some good Mrs. Santa stories:)

    Chatty Crone -- I was doomed once my grandson learned my fake bangs came off. There was no privacy in public with him around. How did you manage having to sit next to the couple in the restaurant? That must have been a hoot for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't have any wig flipping stories to share. The last experience I had with a wig was wearing a Vulcan wig at Halloween... it had the pointy ears, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fashion dictated that one had a wig in the sixties. I was being driven down to the south of France with friends to stay in their farmhouse. 'Please Pat - only small bags - no suitcases,' the husband pleaded.
    He nearly had a fit when he saw that one was the head on which my beautiful wig rested. Well it wasn't a suitcase.
    Down in the south it was far too hot to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. cube -- Too bad you couldn't share a picture of that vulcan wig.

    Pat -- Oh yes those wig heads! Weren't they frightening? And they were heavy. Wigs are still very hot to wear but certainly not as bad as in the 60's.

    ReplyDelete
  26. o my. I laughed out loud, really, at this story. I could picture this happening so clearly.

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com