Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Saturday, August 19, 2006

BABIES UNDER THE HOUSE

Now that's a movie title, huh? While SNAKES ON A PLANE is a work of fiction, BABIES UNDER THE HOUSE appears to be factual. I know there are kittens under our house somewhere. Now it looks like we will soon have baby chicks under there too.

A couple of weeks ago two of my Araucanas went missing. I decided they were Racoon food. Ron decided they were on a nest somewhere. Ron was right (of course). This morning one of the Araucanas appeared and I only caught a glimpse of her before she returned under the house. If my calculations are correct from the time they went missing, the chicks should hatch around the 25th. There could just be one Araucana but I'm hoping the other one is under there too sitting on a nest.

Slim is keeping the hens company and could also be protecting them from Racoons. I will now have to watch Slim's collection carefully for the appearance of a new baby chick.

2 comments:

  1. whew at least its not baby snakes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kittens never showed up and the eggs hatched around the 26th as expected, only to have the cats eat them as soon as they hatched. The mama hen rejoined the other chickens a few days later. So Sad

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com