Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Wednesday, February 09, 2022

WORDS FOR WEDNESDAY - FEBRAURY 9, 2022


 This month, the prompts are being provided by C. Lee McKenzie.     


HOW DOES COURTSHIP LAST by Granny Annie

It seems like only YESTERDAY that I waited at the airport terminal for him to exit the plane. We had both been filled with LAUGHTER as we embraced. Together we collected his luggage. He opened his suitcase and pulled out a crinkled brown bag that was somewhat damp. "This is for you" he said and I reluctantly took this strange GIFT, opening it to discover a small LOVELY bouquet of roses. The FLOWERS were carefully packed and looking as fresh as the moment he cut them for me in California.

Our courtship included lots of GENEROUS presents. He showered me with poetry books by Robert Browning and Elizabeth Barrett Browning and other favorites. He would SURPRISE me with several pieces of precious jewelry. The first FEBRUARY on Valentine's Day after we met, he sent me a huge bouquet of roses to my work. It was a thrill to display them on my desk for people to admire and inquire...and envy:) He SPRINKLED me with gifts just the way women always hope a man will do. I would insist that he should stop being so generous, but he was STUBBORN and I was glad.

While he was giving me those gifts and entertaining me with laughter and excitement, he was preparing a lifetime of gifts by listening. After our MARRIAGE the glittery gifts faded away to be replaced with a new type of gift. My HUSBAND heard and remembered my wishes and made my every dream come true.



(This is a true story and I will always  miss him.)

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful, simply beautiful. You made me tear up.

    Have a fabulous day and rest of the week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely courtship which clearly carried over into the marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a marvelous, caring man. I am glad you had such a wonderful man in your life and that you appreciated him. I am sure that is why the gifts kept coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is truly beautiful. And of course you miss him.

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com