Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Tuesday, August 20, 2019

NOTHING WAS RIGHT

Yesterday I was returning from the Senior Citizens Center and saw a friend working in his garden.  "Wait"  I said to myself as I passed his home, "he should not be out in this heat on his hands and knees."  Thankfully I was compelled to turn around and go back.

"Are you okay?" I asked.  He was not okay.  He was struggling to get up.  I did all in my power to help him and it so reminded me of all the times my Ron would fall and refuse to call 911.  "Let me call for help" I begged my friend but he refused.  

I remembered seeing a fellow on his porch a few houses down so I walked there to ask for his assistance.  He joined me and together we managed to get my 90 year old friend up and back in his home.  He thanked both of us for our help and sent us away.  

My friend lives on a very busy street and cars went flying past without noticing this man in his yard.  They too probably thought he was working in his garden.  They probably did not know this man was frail. What if I had not decided to go back?  The sun was blazing hot and he could  have had a heat stroke. 

16 comments:

  1. A timely reminder to look more closely and watch out for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One should never be afraid to stop and just ask if someone is allright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an observant soul and he is lucky to have your quick thinking skills. I now will also try to be more observant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you went back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you went back to help, you're "good people".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your timing could not have been more perfect, Annie. Thank goodness you were on the alert. I am sure the gentleman is so grateful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you went back and I know he is too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankfully you knew him and realized he could be in danger. Like you said, anyone else would just think he was working in the yard. Amen for you Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank goodness you were concerned and went back to help him. We all need to be observant and kind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You were an angel for that man in distress- Hope he gets to live on awhile and help should be there when it's our turn to need it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for your instincts Annie! We saw a similar situation when we were in CA. An elderly man had fallen on the porch of his 1st floor condo. We could see him because we were in the next building on the second floor and could look down to where he lay. Bob went and talked to him - he needed help getting up. Bob and a young man from the complex climbed over the porch wall and helped him into the house. Like your man, he didn't want any emergency assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank goodness you went back to help, that could have been so dangerous for him. It's hard to accept there are things you can't do anymore. Just hope he's more careful in future. Maybe if he has a phone he could carry it with him when he goes out. I keep meaning to do that but often forget.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Annie! You are a wonderful neighbor and humanitarian. Thank goodness you could help him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Annie. I'm so glad you stopped and helped him. You are a good soul. This I know to be true.

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com