Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Tuesday, November 08, 2011

ALL THAT AND A PhD


My godson emailed these questions when I ask all the family for ideas for my Monday QOTW.  I can always depend on Travis to make any inquiry interesting and these were too clever to wait and post one at a time. 

"There are so many questions... Why do the British spell color colour? or why do the leaves change color? how do roots grow down and branches grow up? why don't penguins live in the northern hemisphere? Why does chocolate taste so good? Does an apple taste like a potato if you hold your nose closed?"

He also sent this question and I'm hoping it really has an answer he can verify.  I already made my guess but needless to say, it was wrong.


"There is a prison with 277 men in it. Every man has a number tattooed on the back of his head. 12 people have 1, 84 have a 2, 76 a 3, 104 a 4, and 1 person has a 5. These people cannot communicate and they cannot look at the back of their head. They do not know the number on the back of their head. They do not if they even have a number on the back of their head. They can see each other though.

If a person figures out what number is on the back of his head that person can leave the prison at midnight. No one will guess.

One day everyone is gathered for lunch and the person with the number 5 on the back of his head stands on a table and says, "I see someone with the number 2 tattooed on the back of his head". He does not look at anyone when he says this, and that is all that is said.

How many people leave the prison? When?"

Yes my blog friends, this is what you would call an extra credit question. It should wake you up on a Tuesday.  LOL 

DISCLAIMER:  My dear friends, I should have warned you that my godson is a trickster.  He was the child who, along with his sister, locked me in a porta-potty at the fair parade.  He hid in my closet for two hours when he was a kid, waiting to scare me and he and a friend blew up the dog house with a dry ice bomb when they were 12. Just many in a long list of his antics. I should have insisted on the answer to this question before I posted it,  When I ask him to give me the answer his first response was, "Who said I knew the answers)"  

His second response was, "    
I know the answer. The answer requires an explanation. A guess does not cut it.

To see the answer simply the problem. Try it with 1 #2 and 1 #n. Then go on and look at 2 #2 and 2 #n, 1 #2 1#n 1#m ...."

And that is all Greek to me.  Sorry if any of you over taxed your brains on this.  Let's just say everyone gets extra credit and it appears Whitemist had the best guess.  Sounded good to me anyway. If Travis ever reports in with something sensible, I will share it with you.  Yep, I love him anyway:)

20 comments:

  1. 84 would be what I'd first think ... but that's too easy.

    If I come up with an answer, I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie (BIZ) -- Remember you also have to say "when". 84 makes sense to me too but I don't know. I guessed "none" and "never" but that was wrong. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a headache just thinking about it, lol. I may ponder it later when I'm more awake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not wired in a way that will allow me to even contemplate that question. Let me know when you determine the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh???

    You do realize I'm not the smartest banana in the bunch.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy and I have the same wave lengths......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie -- Yes, you would need to be awake to tackle that last question.

    Judy -- I'm surprised you didn't get it right away.

    Marla and Steve -- I'm a mushy banana.

    Changes in the wind -- Well you guys might be able to handle the first small group of easy questions. ???

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Bonnie:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's going to be one of those answers that you smack yourself in the head when you hear it. I'll be back to read the answer. :)

    Maybe Joe can tell us why color is spelled colour in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If it has anything to do with numbers, I can't do it. I'll come back after you've posted the answer.

    As for the other questions, the British and Canadians use the original spelling of the words colour, favour, flavour, honour, etc. The Americans opted to drop the 'u' for some reason or other. We also spell check cheque when referring to monetary payments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have no idea, I have a massive fear of numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous4:12 PM

    After all that I need a nap! :-)

    Take care and have a nice day :-)

    And thanks for your recent comment on My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. i run with 84 because it is obvious - everyone would go to the warden and say i am number 2 and only 84 would be correct - when - that night.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I believe "colour" is how we spelled it in French Class also!
    Roots have no bark covering, so seek darkness, while leaf bearing branches seek light for Photosynthesis.

    There are Penguins in zoos in the Northern hemisphere, living.
    Chocolate eating releases neurotransmitters that in turn produce endorphines, making you feel good.
    "Pommes de terre" is potatoe in French translated literally "Apples of the Earth", but no way do they ever taste like apples, unless you eat them with applesauce on them, which I do to my mashed taters sometimes...

    Prison question: If no one will guess- then Zero!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pat -- We're all with Bonnie I think.

    Lynn -- I think we will want to smack my godson in the head. Pat MacKenzie gives a good explanation of color and colour.

    Pat MacKenzie -- Maybe dropping the "u's" was part of our rebellion. LOL

    LL Cool Joe -- Did not want to scare you.

    Ron Old Geezer -- If you spent any effort on that prison question you deserve a nap now.

    Whitemist -- Sounds good to me. I just don't understand why the prisoner stood on the table.

    Snaggle Tooth -- I can count on you to take in whole post. On the prison question, I guessed "none" as well but was told I was wrong. Thanks for your response.

    ReplyDelete
  16. DISCLAIMER: My dear friends, I should have warned you that my godson is a trickster. He was the child who, along with his sister, locked me in a porta-potty at the fair parade. He hid in my closet for two hours when he was a kid, waiting to scare me and he and a friend blew up the dog house with a dry ice bomb when they were 12. Just many in a long list of his antics. I should have insisted on the answer to this question before I posted it, When I ask him to give me the answer his first response was, "Who said I knew the answers)"



    His second response was, "

    I know the answer. The answer requires an explanation. A guess does not cut it.
    To see the answer simply the problem. Try it with 1 #2 and 1 #n. Then go on and look at 2 #2 and 2 #n, 1 #2 1#n 1#m ...."

    And that is all Greek to me. Sorry if any of you over taxed your brains on this. Let's just say everyone gets extra credit and it appears Whitemist had the best guess. Sounded good to me anyway. If Travis ever reports in with something sensible, I will share it with you. Yep, I love him anyway:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Trying to guess how old your grandson is

    ReplyDelete
  18. Monalisa -- He is my godson and not my grandson. He is 32 years old and has his PhD and holds a prestigious job with a University.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooppss.. Did I read it wrong ?! I was thinking of a kid !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Monalisa -- That is okay because he still acts like one. LOL

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com