Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Saturday, January 16, 2010

WHERE IS THE "DOODLE-DOO"?

MAY I INTRODUCE YOU TO ROOSTER JACK BAUER

Yesterday was another time we needed the video camera. Our new Araucana Rooster was turned out with the rest of the flock and it was get acquainted time. He and Daryl had been speaking to each other and I noticed that Daryl would speak the usual five tones of "Cock-A-Doo-dle-Doo" while the new rooster only had the "Cock-Aaaaaaaa" and no "Doo-dle-Do". Perhaps that became a bone of contention because the next thing I knew, the two big boys were at it.

It was a serious fight and the first in attendance to watch were my chicks, Mr.Gibson II and Chicklet II. Chicklet II grabbed a rooster tail feather that had been shed in the heat of battle and began running around in circles, flying the feather like a banner. Perhaps it was her way of announcing the fight because the next thing I knew the guinea fowl all gathered in a ring around the roosters and I'm pretty sure they were exchanging bets.

I was worried but Ron assured me the roosters needed to establish a pecking order and to leave them alone. Slim wanted to jump into the fray and break it up but I held her off. Finally I told Ron that the new rooster was covered in blood. "Well break them up!" he yelled, as if he hadn't told me to let them fight. Anyway I allowed Slim in at that point and she sent the two roosters packing in different directions. The rest of the day there were no problems and today each rooster has their own little flock of hens to tend to.

Then it dawned on me -- the new rooster wasn't crowing, he was saying "Damn it!" thus his name is now Jack Bauer. That is appropriate since Season 8 of 24 starts tomorrow night. How was that for a segue into an ad for the show? LOL

25 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:23 AM

    There's nothing like watching ANIMAL PLANET played out in front of you. All you were missing was the alligator lunging up at an unsuspecting Wildebeast. The hens are GORGEOUS, but I've never seen roosters with those markings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This rooster is so lovely. It is said that they couldn't settle their differences with a contract or flip of the coin...but then there is all that testosterone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful rooster. he has a stance. Glad they settled their differences and each is happy with their own harem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of my experiences have been the opposite - where is the ... You know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dana -- Araucana roosters are gorgeous and the hens are pretty too. They are also known as Easter Egg chickens because they lay blue, green and pink eggs.

    Tabor -- You're so right about all that testosterone. These two fellows were quite serious in their ambitions.

    Stella -- He is a pretty boy and he seemed to strike a pose for the camera. I usually have trouble taking pictures of my roosters but Jack seemed to like the camera.

    Riot Kitty -- Are you referring to the "doodle doo"? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful story, I enjoyed it. Like you, I've given up politics but You could take this rooster story in all kinds of directions politically. I'll not go there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I read "the two boys were at it" my mind immediately turned to other thoughts than fighting. Oops I'm sorry. I haven't been to church for 3 weeks and it's showing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must have taken a lot of courage to watch your much loved Roosters bloody each other and not interfere. The male of the species always want to settle their pecking order with fists, claws, or whatever tool nature provided them with.

    Very funny; Jack Bauer and 'dammit'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All he needs now is a pair of aviator sunglasses and a manpurse. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some roosters never do the whole "cock a doodle do" thing and always have weird crows. What's really strange and funny is when some young hens try to crow and man, is that weird, lol! ;o)

    I've never watched 24. Maybe someday.

    Happy weekend, and enjoy your new season of 24.

    Love and hugs,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda -- Thanks for visiting my blog. I guess their fight was, in a way, a political battle.

    LL Cool Joe -- Yep, you need to get back to church.

    Darlene -- I am so happy today to see that they are unscathed and moving about the property as if they have both been here forever.

    Adam -- Oh I love the vision and might have to photo shop the sun glasses and man purse on the rooster.

    Diane -- You are so right about the different sounds roosters will make. We have had many young roosters raised from chicks and hearing those first noises from the chicken house are a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I was referring to that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmmmm And he's pretty cute, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Riot Kitty -- Of course I knew:)

    Kay -- He is a bit studly isn't he? You can tell he knows it too. In the world of fowl the boys get all the pretty feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When will they learn the women will come crawling and you don't need to fight over them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cliff -- While Ron would agree with you, I'm betting Marilyn is laughing as hard at this as I am?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just came by to say hello, and thank you for leaving the nice comments on my blog, Granny !
    Hope all 6 of the new roosters/hens are doing well today - even Jack Bauer :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for dropping by. He is a handsome fellow. Didn't they use to have illegal cock fights in the old days?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Grannie Annie, Thanks for visiting my blog. I love your chickens. My daughter has a farm and she is mad at her chickens right now because they aren't laying.
    I will be back to read some more.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful rooster, that Jack Bauer! I'm glad that the fight didn't last till death of one of the roosters... Glad that you still have Mr. Gibson II. Love your stories, Annie...Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Handsome fellow, your rooster is. I imagine they are quite vicious when they fight.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the names you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You can't get more creative than Chicklet and Jack Bauer! lol

    Mr. Gibson II...love the sound of that one, too!

    I wish I would've kept on with 24. We stopped at season 4. :(

    ReplyDelete
  24. BAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You crack me up Granny!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jack Bauer is a fine name for such a handsome rooster. He does seem to love the camera.

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com