Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Thursday, January 14, 2010

WHAT A CHORE FOR SIX MORE





Why didn't someone have a video camera? Yesterday we added six more chickens to our flock. We found a place near us that sold laying hens. We called and the owner said that yesterday would be the best day for us to get them. (Remember folks, we are in a massive thaw of snow and ice that has covered us since Dec. 24th.)

The gate to their estate was locked and we had to wait for them to drive down, open the gate and allow us entry. We drove our pickup and not the van so we didn't have very good traction in the slush. At least I had worn my Roper's.

These true and natural farm folks have a huge variety of fowl for sell and goats, mules, dogs. The people and all of the animals were up to their ankles in mud. Ron was happy that he had failed to wear his boots and these chickens were for me anyway, so he guarded the truck and our cage while I tromped through the muck to select my new hens. It was their feeding time so it was easy to gather them in grabbing reach while they gathered round the trough.

There were only two laying hens left so I got them and two cochins, one Bramah and yep, I could not resist a beautiful Aracauna Rooster. Daryl needs a little competition to keep him from getting mean (or should I say too cocky? LOL).

My spouse got way too much entertainment out of watching two ladies grab six birds. He was the one wishing for a camera. There was a lot of slipping and sliding both on foot and in the truck but we made it home with our new chicken children which I will name. It seems that I did not have good luck with my chickens when I stopped naming them.

The attached pictures are not my actual six but they look a lot like mine and maybe you can help me name them. There are two of the reds, two of the buff, one Brama and one Araucana rooster. It will be a while before I can photograph them because we will keep them in the cage and separate from the rest of the flock for a few days.

The main picture I failed to take was of my boots. I wiped them off before I thought of what a story they could tell on their own.

9 comments:

  1. If you read my story on TGB about my fear of anything with feathers on it and being cured by holding a little red hen you will know why the photo of your fluffy red hen brings back memories. My red hen made noises like purring when I held her and my mother named her Singer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE chickens! I like everything about them, with the exception of trying to keep all the varmints from killing them. :-(

    I grew up keeping chickens, ducks, guineas, geese, turkeys, hogs, and other farm animals. We also raised a steer calf every year to butcher for meat.

    One of the things I dislike the most about living in town is that I can't have chickens here, although some of our neighbors do. My landlord would never allow it here though and my apartment yard just isn't suitable anyway. Phooey!

    Enjoy your new feathered friends. Hope they settle into the native flock comfortably.

    Love and hugs,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish Ron had a camera!! lol

    The scene you described sounds so foreign to me, I'd love to see you reenact it on video.

    As for naming the chicken children, I'll have to see what they look before I can make any suggestions. Post pics when you can. I can't wait to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, new arrivals! Sorry, this just only now popped up on the RSS feed. Google sucks sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you name one slippy as that's what happened when you went to get them, and possibly one slushy as that's what you had to go through...or do you need real names like Mildred and such!! ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a line form Spain, Loved the post as usual, weather here is HOT.
    tHINKING OF ALL MY BLOGGER FRIENDS
    Take care.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are so beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I had to pass it on to someone!!!

    Did you name the chickens yet?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brown English Muffin -- the rooster is named Jack Bauer (see next post) and the red hens are Slippy and Slushy, as you suggested. Those are perfect names to commemorate their day of transfer. Still don't have names for the two Buff Cochins and the one Brama hen.

    I'll take a look at what you have passed on to me. Should I thank you now or wait until I attempt to do it? LOL

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com