Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

SIX DAYS ON THE ROAD

We are in our sixth day on the road of this new year and the media, once again, has taken charge of our lives. Our blood boils over politics, religion and sports figures whose lives are really none of our business. We worry over which TV network is telling the truth while we know all of them stretch and embellish any shred of truth in their stories. Their topics cannot be solved by us or them.

A dear, dear friend of mine once told me to imagine myself wrapped up in an electric blanket. (In this cold and snow that's a good thing to imagine right now.) He then said hand the thermostat controls to someone else and let them select the temperature setting for your comfort. Obviously they would not know if I needed it to be hotter or cooler so why would I give them the controls? Then he told me to take back those controls and adjust the temperature to suit myself.

We have handed our controls to journalists, preachers, talk show hosts and Internet stories. They gleefully adjust our temperature as we are left spinning in circles of fear and anger while nothing is being resolved.

We don't have to be recovering alcoholics to use the following prayer as a way to take back the controls of our lives:

"God, Give us the grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed, Courage
to change the things which should be changed,
And the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other."

(From "The Serentiy Prayer" by Elisabeth Sifton)

7 comments:

  1. How I agree with you Annie.
    A sobering post to read but one that makes one think.
    Take care.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I let God have the controls. He's the only one I trust with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's why I quit watching TV news or reading the papers, which I do occasionally. There is so much hate and invective in the world that I figure it is best not to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Annie~
    I turned off the heat lamp for my chickens ~this morning but I am second guessing myself. Do you think I should keep in on today too? I hate to have them in extreme opposite temps. They are not coming out of coop much today with the snowing! Tonight our wind temps will be -25 so I plan on turning it back on tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope it melts soon! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It just makes you blood boil listening to the news...lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow the electric blanket idea is fantastic....and there's a reason that modern day electric blankets have two controls...we don't even want our husbands controlling out heat let alone a complete stranger!!!!

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com