Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Monday, August 24, 2009

UNTETHERED -- GUINEA FOWL A' GO GO

With Bonnie's encouragement, I have started moving around, intent on getting some of this weight off. My stationary bicycle became too boring, so we sprung for a high priced bike at a yard sale last week and for $8.00 I have become untethered. I have not ridden a bicycle since I was about ten years old and it was a shaky venture at first. Little by little it is coming back to me and the workout feels great. Now I need to name this bargain bike. Suggestions please and I will work out a prize for the winning name.


I have a plan as we take another run at raising Guinea Fowl again. We purchased 20 keets at the poultry swap meet last week. Some are 3 weeks old and the rest are six weeks old. We're not trusting them to any mother other than ME. Starting Wednesday we will let one or two of the older keets out of the cage. We know they will stay close to the others and we know they are too big already for the bigger Guinea female to kill. Little by little we will turn one or two more out until they are comfortable in the hen house.

Why would I try this again? Because I believe if I can build a large enough herd of Guinea Fowl, we can trust them to serve as guard patrol and keep predators away. Then I can add some laying hens to our chicken flock.

Tomorrow our California boys come for a visit. Needless to say, I shall be busy for the next seven or eight days. When I return, I will update you on the bike name, the Guinea Fowl progress, the bridge progress and wonderful tales of the visit from Ian and his buddy Kenneth. Meanwhile, let me suggest a movie for you to watch. If you haven't seen TAKING CHANCE with Kevin Bacon, you must. Let me warn you, it is a "two sock" movie.

Well, there is a second contest. The first is to name the bike. The second is to see who can remember what the phrase "two sock" movie means to me.

15 comments:

  1. What comes to me????? Flash
    Hope the guinea fowl do great this time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee-Maws Freewheelin One Seater.

    Sorry thats all I could come up with

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about the Funky Chicken? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:36 AM

    I can picture it in my head: a license plate saying WIDE LOAD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful time with your guests, also good luck with the weight loss......been trying to lose some of my tummy.
    Take care.


    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about Getaway Grannie? I saw this movie last year and loved it. Keven Bacon does a terrific job of showing the inner feelings without overacting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two socks? I don't know if Dougie will let me watch a movie that would need two!

    Bike name? My daughter thinks STEVE is a great name but I don't know about that. Grannie Annie,"I'm goin' out to ride Steve". Doesn't sound very PG to me.

    How about Grease lighting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well my sweet Layla calls her momma's blue Scion "Miss Blue". I think that is a good name for your "new" blue bike. Great bike by the way. Hut and I will have to start taking ours out again. It's been too hot, but it's cooling a little. Good luck with the guinea fowl. And have a great time with your California boys. two sock has me stumped.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two sock movie, huh?? Was it Field of Dreams?

    As for your $8 bike, I love RK's and Tabor's suggestions...or how about Blue Thunder??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I think it's wonderful that you're going to start riding a bike! It's great exercise and I think you're going to find that it's also really fun!

    And I know exactly what you mean about The View being an embarrassment to all women! It really is. I started watching it when my son was first born and I was on the couch all day holding a newborn. Then, before I knew it, I was addicted! Now I record it on the DVR every day. Gosh, I'm so embarrassed. What can I say, it's a guilty pleasure! :-)

    Have a wonderful time with your California boys!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That bike deserves an great name - how about Old Blue.
    I'm with you - stationary bikes get boring after about ten minutes.
    Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  12. P.S. I'm trying to get caught up on my reading and just noticed your nice comment and link in the previous post. Thank You
    Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a great time with the boys! I'm useless when it comes to finding names for anything!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You guys are doing great with name suggestions for my bicycle. You are not doing so well with the "two sock" movie. Do you know how to search a blog? If you put in a name or phrase in the top left browser space for the blog and click on "Search" you can find lots of things:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know that Mr. Gibson is already taken so we will have to try Blue Diamond.....Maybe Blue streak...

    Have fun with the boy and keep an eye out for those guinea fowls....I am sure you will be a good mom to them...

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com