Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Friday, October 31, 2008

BEWARE THE CHIROPTERANS*

Halloween Greetings from EAGHL MARKERINGS. Meet Mrs. Skeleton:)Nancy Leitz sent me her daughter's dressed Teddy Bear Hughie so I wouldn't worry about my granddaughter liking devils.
My grandniece Cloelle is ready for trick-or-treating. What would you say she is thinking? I'm guessing it's "Mom is at it again."


My daughter's family artwork. Carving pumpkins only became a tradition in our family when my best friend Pat exclaimed, "What, you don't carve Jack-O-Lanterns???" then she showed up at our door with three small pumpkins and showed us how to go about carving them. I never got very good at it, but my daughter has always gone above and beyond. It looks like her children get in the act also.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN BLOGGERS ONE AND ALL!
*The Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day for October 31 is:
chiropteran \kye-RAHP-tuh-run\ noun:
any of an order of night-flying mammals with forelimbs modified to form wings: bat
Example sentence:
The vampire hunters were greeted by swarms of chiropterans as they entered Dracula's castle.
Did you know? "Chiroptera" is the name of the order of the only mammal capable of true flight, the bat. The name is influenced by the hand-like wings of bats, which are formed from four elongated "fingers" covered by a cutaneous membrane. It is based on the Greek words for "hand," "cheir," and "wing," "pteron." "Cheir" also had a hand in the formation of the word "surgery," which is ultimately derived from the ancient word "cheirourgos," meaning "doing by hand." "Pteron" is widely used in technical names of flying insects. It's also the ancestor of a well-known, common word: "helicopter," which joins "pteron" with Greek "heliko," meaning "spiral."



14 comments:

  1. Who could resist Minnie Mouse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooooooooooo cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cutie! The jack o'lanterns look great. Have a happy, safe Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link to the little lobster in the pot! Poor guy--he looked so cute and confused!!

    And the guy in the cat bathrobe?? He looks familiar! :-)

    Your grandniece is precious! What a cutie-pie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Halloween greeting is excellent and your niece so cute I could just squeeze her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That little girl is priceless! Happy Halloween, Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love her outfit!!! So cute!! Cute name too. I have never heard Cloelle before!

    Your daughter is a talented pumpkin carver for sure!

    Happy Halloween to you!! Keep the spooks away!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Granny Annie,

    Your grandniece Cloelle is just adorable! And the carved pumpkins are wonderful. My daughter just sent me pictures of theirs, but I already put up my post, so will save it for next year or something.
    And interesting infor. on bats!

    Love your rooster picture, below. I used to have many different breeds of chickens, and gobs of other animals, but have slowly given up on domestic animals. Except for dogs and cats, of course. But there is lots of wildlife around, so I am happy.

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I am really enjoying yours.

    Happy Halloween!

    Renie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annie,

    Oh! How sweet is that little girl in her Minnie Mouse Outfit. She is adorable.

    Also, it was nice to see Hughie visiting you in his devil's outfit.

    We made that for him one Holloween and I am delighted now that we took his picture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alright I'll agree - your grandniece wins the best costume award.
    Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Mrs. Skeleton markering is wonderful!
    Your unique artistic skills always make me smile.
    You've got flair, Ann!!

    Cloelle is such a beauty!

    Love the carvings.
    They done goooood.

    Happy Halloween!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a darling little girl! I wasn't a very good pumpkin carver either. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your granddaughter is adorable....

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com