Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Sunday, January 27, 2008

PONDERING THE MICROWAVE

This morning I was waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to brew, so I heated a cup of yesterday's left over coffee in the microwave. My microwave has a carousel and I stood there in a trance watching the cup go round and round. I pondered the age of my microwave, it's small size, and felt a bit out of modern society with this old model microwave. "Maybe we should get a new one" I suggested to my spinning brain.

"Why?" came a response from the machine taking up space on my counter top.

That was a fair question. Why would I need a new microwave? All I use it for is to reheat meals or frozen dinners, to heat coffee, to bake a potato or pop corn. Occasionally I will cook a casserole in the microwave, but so far my old model can handle my needs.

Does anyone use their microwave oven for more things than I do? Are they any suggestions why I should purchase a bigger and better microwave?

Ding.....my coffee is ready.

10 comments:

  1. Our house came with a newfangled, built in, powerful microwave, so when it had a problem and needed repair, I got a cheapy one to sit on the counter until it was fixed. The three other members of my family complained that the cheap microwave wasn't powerful enough. It made them wait another WHOLE minute sometimes for the job to be complete. Can you imagine that??!! I found the powerful one to be better because it had more power and was larger. Truth is I didn't like waiting that extra minute either for stuff to heat up.
    We are impatient I tell ya, impatient!!
    I don't cook our meals in my microwave. I use it to heat up veggies, heat soup for lunch, reheat stuff, cook frozen meals like Hot Pockets or Lean Cuisines, and other uses like you listed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use my microwave same as you but you know why I love this post? Because I have these kind of conversations with myself all the time! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to do corn on the cob in the microwave. Butter it up and wrap it in waxed paper. It comes out tasty. Other than that I don't use it for much different than you do. I've seen recipes for the microwave but never ventured to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we use our microwaves for the same things. i don't think it's necessary to get a new one.

    :)

    maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. J.D. wants her food faster than a speeding bullet. Monica also talks to her appliances. OGO might want to rethink all that corn. Maria, as always, simply tells it like it is.

    Isn't this interesting. There are millions of buttons on a microwave oven. The newer ones promise baking, browning, frying whatever to prepare an entire meal. You can buy tons of accessories for cooking in the microwave. Yet we all seem to just heat and eat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't forget steaming asparagus.

    Put the asparagus in a bowl. Add a little amount of water. Cover it with a plate. Set it for 2 1/2 minutes and you have perfect asparagus. Well, not yet. Put some butter over the asparagus. Now, it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Z. when we lived in Kansas we grew asparagus and would just walk into the field and pick some fresh to come back and pop in the microwave just the way you described. Perfect is right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love my 25 year-old small carousel microwave for re-heating things, popcorn and corn on the cob.
    I love how small it is, but I try not to stand too close when it's doing its thing. I worry that there might be some safety improvements in the last 25 years that I'm missing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes when my sister is in a hurry she puts a little butter in a bowl and cooks one egg for one of the kids, I love popcorn and reheating in the microwave.

    My sister bakes apples with cinnamon on them in the oven, I just tried the microwave and its yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com