Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Monday, December 10, 2007

WHAT WE MEAN

When we say soldiers, we mentally include men and women. When we say brothers we mean brothers and sisters and when we say sons, we mean sons and daughters. Last week Ron and I attended the local DAV annual Christmas party. We were seated at the table with two very nice couples. I asked the women if they were members of the auxiliary and they informed me that THEY were the veterans. Female vets usually don't attend reunions or other organization activities so this was nice to see they are getting comfortable receiving recognition for their service.

3 comments:

  1. It's hard to think of the little girl I gave birth to as a vet but a vet she is. She's come a long way from ruffles and maryjanes which she never liked much anyway. As she told me when she entered boot camp at Great Lakes, "There aren't guys and girls here or whites, blacks, hispanics and asians, there are just sailors.

    After serving 8 years, I think a part of her will always be a sailor and proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know, my wife is a veteran, I am not. I just love it when at church, around veterans day, they ask all the vets to stand up. I clap pretty hard.
    Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Kay, according to my husband there are two groups of people. Regular people and sailors. Ralph, good for your wife. I cannot imagine entering the military and I truly admire all who serve.

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com