Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Monday, December 03, 2007

SURPRISE FALL

Do you always pay attention? I am often accused (by my beloved spouse) of running amok and not paying attention to my surroundings. Perhaps that is why I fell......again. (Okay, no alcohol was involved honest.)

Yesterday we were in Kansas getting ready for our big auction on Saturday. My mind was racing which caused my body to race which caused my feet to lag behind and the next thing I knew, I was falling. It was such a surprise when I tripped that there was not time to change direction. There was time to reach out with my right hand to soften the blow. Ouch! I hope my thumb is just jammed.

Last year I fell. We had not lived here very long and I got up in the night to go to the bathroom. Venturing back to the bedroom, descending three measly little stairs, I was again caught off guard and tumbled head first. That trusty right arm darted out again and the fall was softened by my pinkie finger as it hit an edge of wood and was sliced open. Blood spurted and I made it back to the bathroom, dripping blood. All of the feeling has still not returned to my little finger.

Is this the beginning of something? Both of these falls occurred after my 60Th birthday. Are people my age falling all over the world -- or am I unique? Of course the other night I darted out after the dog to battle and unknown intruder. Luckily it was a small intruder of some kind but I guess it could have been a large boogy man, bear, lion, etc.

It isn't really the injury that hurts as much as the surprise attack that seems beyond averting. Today I shall begin treading more steathfully.

4 comments:

  1. I just read your last post, linked to you on my site, came back to test the link, and read about your fall.
    Your poor thumb! Hope it's better soon, and I'm so glad you didn't break any other bones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While the falls hurt, usually my ego is more battered than my body, especially if someone sees me fall.
    I have finally gotten around to adding you to my links - hope that is okay.
    Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have fallen about 4 times since I turned 60. My upper body is always ahead of my feet these days. Please be careful, since you will find as you get older there is less and less ability to balance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes SOLB my thumb is better. Thanks. And yes Ralph, my ego is still battered -- thankfully no one saw me fall. So Judy I guess I've stll got some falls to come. Whew.

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com