Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Sunday, May 14, 2023

SUNDAY TALKING...

 My mother was an avid fan of western movies.  It started with TV shows Gunsmoke and then Cheyenne.  (The bartender in Cheyenne turned out to be her dancing partner at OCU, Orville Sherman.)  Once mother moved into a retirement home after Dad was gone she became hooked on Western movies.  You could never enter her apartment without being greeted by John Wayne.  We all laughed and even gave her a life size stand up cardboard of The Duke.

Guess what has happened to me?  I am hooked on the TV station called GRIT.  It is Western movies all week long. I watched THE ALAMO with John Wayne and then I went to Prime and saw THE ALAMO with Billy Bob Thornton.  I watched every MAGNIFICENT SEVEN  (four remakes) ending with the latest starring Denzil Washington and Chris Pratt.  After I had seen every remake I found Japan's SEVEN SAMARI which was the basis for all the SEVEN movies.  The producer of the SEVEN SAMARI was a fan of John Ford's work and decided to make his own western.  After he produced his Seven the American produces began to copy the story.  I finally found SEVEN SAMARI on TCM this past week.

So what is the deal with Western movies?  I have discovered it's not so much the stories as it is the scenery.  It is almost hypnotic to view all the mountains, skies, rocky gorges.  Now I understand my mother's addiction and am proud to emulate it.  Also John Wayne, Clint Walker, James Arness, etc, make nice scenery.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY MAMA

(I love watching TV with you.)



7 comments:

  1. What a lovely Mother's Day tribute to your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What they ^^ said. My dad was a fan of Westerns although his favourite was Audie Murphy. I like westerns too and Samurai movies, I used to wish I had Ninja skills. My mum used to watch "the soaps" Days of Our Lives and such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand that draw of the scenery, especially after having travelled through the western part of the U.S. I remember my grandmother having a crush on James Arness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the scenery of both kinds is excellent in those shows and movies.

    I wish you a blessed and beautiful Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I'm at home, since I don't have expensive TV, I must watch the Waltons at 11a.m., then I sloth around and watch the westerns. They seem to have better plot lines and a dash of old-fashioned values, if it's not one that's too gory. Still trying to figure out how all those western women working from wagons on the plains or sod houses can look so well-kept and energetic! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com