Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Sunday, April 02, 2023

SUNDAY TALKING...

 My first job was at age 12.  Babysitting paid 35 cents an hour.  My reputation was good for this job and there was high demand for my services.  My high demand was for the money.  

Age 15 allowed me to take a job in a local department store as a gift wrapper. The salary there was lot more than 35 cents per hour.  It might have been $1 an hour.  Loved that money also. The problem with that job was my ability to purchase things there at quite a discount. Many precious items were carried home each week. It was not long before I was promoted to sales.

Many jobs followed and most of them were without pay.  I worked in my dad's office as a secretary, answering the phones and folding church bulletins.  Marriage and children turned me into a homemaker. The main point here is my working from age 12 on.

College had me completing tax forms for a CPA.  Next I worked in an insurance company and following that banking.  My retirement from banking came when I was 52.  Not one to hold still, I began to sell lots of items on eBay.  Country living began my work as a chicken farmer and a goat herder.  My two favorite jobs.

My working career ended when Ron died.  I sat down and now at age 76 you can find me sitting in front of the television.  Guilt will often overwhelm me until I remember it was always my goal to sit down.

 


9 comments:

  1. Oh Annie...somehow, this made me sad...Big hugs to you!!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminds me of the circle of life. A little sad too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You deserve a rest. Really you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Might be time to write a memoir…..all those little ‘stories’ are itching to be told. Especially the ones about chook farming

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy's right, and please remember writing is a sitting down job. It's one i'd love to have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There should be no guilt, nothing wrong in sitting down and not working.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I start to babysitting it was fifty cent and hour.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I worked from age 15 to age twenty, then had thirteen years of housekeeping and raising children until the youngest began school at age five, then I went back to working and retired at age 61.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter reminded me that I volunteer at the Senior Center and that I participate in book reviews and she went on and on and I realized I don't sit down enough. LOL

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com