Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Sunday, March 19, 2023

SUNDAY TALKING...

 

Slim's arrival day in 2006

 She arrived at our home in a pack of stray dogs.  Ron had his pellet gun and began to shoot at the strays.  She is the only one he hit and she kept crawling toward him.  "Ok, you can stay". That was 17 years ago.

Slim has struggled with age.  I have refused to let her go.  She has been the smartest, sweetest, most talented dog I have ever known.  How Ron knew she would be such a great dog to keep is beyond me but he was a good judge.  

Monday of this week I had a doctor's appointment early in the morning.  Arriving home I found Frankie, my younger dog, leading me to the kitchen where Slim was spread out, unable to get up.  I knew this was the end.

The appointment to have Slim put to sleep was made for 3:15 that afternoon.  I wasn't going to tell anyone but my son called and caught me in distress.  I told him the plan and the next thing I knew was he was on his way from Tulsa to go with me.

The Veterinary clinic had cared for Slim all her life so it was a difficult time for each of us as we said goodbye to an amazing girl.

12 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I know there will be a tender place in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sorry to hear. I had to go through putting down my pet once and I know the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez...I'm SO sorry! How loving of your Son to go with you!
    Big hug
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry, I understand how much this hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So hard, but you did the right thing for Slim. I am sorry you are having to go through this loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so very sorry. They wind their paws deep into our heart strings and take a piece of us with them when they leave.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh I am so very sorry for your loss. We will have lost Disco a year this April. I will keep you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart aches for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The awful pain of losing a pet. I still get very sad over a dog and a cat, each from 30 years ago, but still in my heart. You gave her a wonderful life. You can be proud and happy about that. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry Slim has gone from your life, but she will be forever in your heart and memory.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My most sincerest condolences for your loss. It's exceptionally hard to put a pet down due to old age/illness (did that for my cat Holly back in 2020), and it's something you really never get over. Hope you've been able to something like cremation for him, in order to keep a little of him around.

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com