Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Sunday, February 12, 2023

SUNDAY TALKING...

 WE'RE ON APPROACH

Do children still exchange Valentine's Day cards at school and do they count their cards to determine who is the most popular in the class? That was what happened in my day and it really should have been a criminal offense. (Needless to say, I didn't receive the most cards.)

Valentine's Day is Tuesday. It is a mixed bag of tricks. Most people, and quite possibly more women than men, have expectations for that day. Isn't that strange? And will it ever be all that we want it to be?

Is it really about sharing the love or is it about bragging rights? Will you receive candy and flowers or will you give someone a gift? Do you send and receive Valentine's Day cards? Or, do you pull the covers over you head and just hope the day will pass without anyone asking your "plans for Valentine's Day"?

Or do you quietly celebrate love that day with your partner or your family members or your close friends and consider that a bountiful day?

6 comments:

  1. TheHub always stops at Publix and brings a bouquet home. He has learned over the years, I actually prefer mixed flowers to roses. To be honest though he surprises me with grocery store flowers for no reason occasionally.
    I try to cook something a little special on Valentines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby did bring me a nice rose plant long ago, I really have to stay away from chocolate these past few weeks, winter weight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have to say that Ron was very good about bringing me flowers and candy but the best Valentine present was when he got me a Case backhoe tractor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all about the bragging rights as far as I'm concerned. We never did the card swap thing in class at school, Valentine's day was just for adults and older sweethearts back then. I think, for younger school classes it's silly and just makes kids feel bad when a certain someone might get ten cards while others get one or two or none. it turns school into a popularity contest and that's NOT how school should be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We keep it small. Not a really big deal to us, but we do that with most holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When we were in school, we were required to bring one card for every child in the class. Twenty kids in the class, bring 19 cards. The same was true for my children.

    My Sweetie and i do not exchange gifts, we are just happy to be together.

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com