Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Sunday, February 01, 2015

SUPER OR SOUP-er BOWL

Today is The "Souper" Bowl! The Second Annual Soup-er Bowl soup cook-off and dessert bake-off at our little church.  Many will be entering their favorite soup or dessert. Everyone will have a chance to vote for their favorite, and new winners will be crowned! We do this to raise money for our Backpack program which provides food to select local children to take home on Fridays.  This way we know they will have food over the weekend. 

Did I mention we get to eat as much as we want of all the entries?  I am entering our favorite dessert, Sopapilla Cheesecake. 


Ingredients:
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese,
softened
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 (8 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent
rolls
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, room temperature

Directions:
1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prepare a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Beat the cream cheese with 1 cup of sugar and the vanilla extract in a bowl until smooth.
3. Unroll the cans of crescent roll dough, and press pieces into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Evenly spread the cream cheese mixture into the baking dish, then cover with the remaining crescent dough. Stir together 3/4 cup of sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Dot the mixture over the top of the cheesecake.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until the crescent dough has puffed and turned golden brown, about 30 minutes.  Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 12 squares.

14 comments:

  1. Oh yum - that cheesecake looks wonderful. And that's also a wonderful cause, GA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really a great idea all around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:56 AM

    Your recipe sounds wonderful and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound good. Today making another apple pie from all the apples we got this fall. Nothing better than the smell of cinnamon and apples in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea. Kids at risk during the school day get to eat but most people forget weekends. Well done.
    That cheesecake looks entirely too good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful cause.
    I have carefully ignored the recipe. These days I only have to look at such treats and they settle on my hips and belly and butt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm getting ready here to watch the Super Bowl...I always watch it and have done for years. I was going to have hot dogs...but I've prepared macaroni and cheese to have for a change.

    Your cheesecake sounds delicious! Only yesterday I was thinking about cheesecakes and how I've not made or had one for ages. Maybe that situation has to change! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like a good day all around, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. At first glance I read "soappilla". Like, made with soap. That would probably not be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That recipe sounds delicious and it looks easy to make. I'm wondering at the etymology of the word 'Sopapilla'. Just curious because the word 'sopa' means soup in Spanish.

    It's a good cause to make sure the kiddies have something to eat over the weekend. Sad to think people go hungry in this great country of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a neat thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Patriots won- N I wonder if I can make 1/2 of that, because I have all of the stuff to do it already...

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely way to raise funds. I'd like to borrow this idea, if you don't mind? I will tell others where I got the idea from.

    So 'competitors' donate soup and the public buys? Is that how the funds are raised?

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com