Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Saturday, November 24, 2012

MURDERING TIME (a rerun)

Mame and Jack Bauer
Everyone knows that Rooster Jack Bauer crossed the road to live with the neighbors.  Mame was his best girl and she became the prize of Rooster Chicklet immediately.  Sadly, Mame was killed by an unknown intruder on Wednesday evening and I was reminded that Fall is upon us and decided to rerun a post from November, 2005,

Thursday, November 10, 2005

 

MURDERING TIME

It is that time of year again. The cold weather brings out the hungry, wild predators and they stalk my chickens. Last night I went down to close the chickens in their house, only to find the remains of the day. The living chickens were packed tightly in the house and I could not get an accurate count, but it appeared that two chickens were missing, though only one chicken body was on the ground. It is a sad event for me to find a murdered chicken. I have been so proud about my cautious care and attention to the 30 chickens, only to learn that the predators will prevail if determined enough.

This morning in the light of day Inspector Ron will join me in the pen to investigate and see if any tracks were left that will identify the assailant. I guess my only job will be to make the chalk outline of the deceased chicken, try to identify the body and count the survivors. I make light only because it truly pains me so.

On a happier note, we are expecting a blessed event as any day now the broody hen should begin hatching her chicken children. The cycle proceeds as new birth follows death.

BACK TO THE FUTURE 11-24-12

Finally managed to capture a photo of our youngest rooster, King Kong, who is a son of Jack Bauer.  He is going to be a giant of a fellow pretty soon.


 

10 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about the murder.
    My mom had raised chicken in India and I remember our chicken would get stolen only if they escaped the pen. No one would enter our backyard as we had a very strong back door and a compound wall.
    King Kong is very handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Human or animal intruder? Either way, I'm sorry...

    I love the names for your animals. How do you choose them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. KK looks pretty cocky to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a very proud looking rooster. It's hard sometimes when nature prevails, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's sad, sorry for your loss. Nature can be cruel sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Munir -- At one time we lived near the railroad and transients would hop off the trains and steal our chickens.

    Riot Kitty -- King Kong was chosen for his name because of his dark black and brown colors. Looked like gorilla colors to me. The intruders are animals. Right now they are a stray pack of dogs and last night they went into our barn after the guinea fowl Slim went after them and it was dark and I could only hear yelping. Did not know if Slim was getting the worst of it or not. The three dogs went running with their tail between their legs and Slim returned the victor without a scratch.

    Cliff -- I don't doubt that King Kong will be the future ruler of the flock.

    Kay -- If only we were dealing with natural predators like foxes or coyotes and not a stray pack of dogs who are killing for sport and not food.

    LL Cool Joe -- It is our neighbor's collection of stray dogs and I'm going down there today to insist they put and end to these dogs running wild. It is fine with me that they take in all the dogs that are dumped around here but if they want to assume responsibility for them, they need to keep them on their property.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Must be terrivle to keep finding dead birds- I remember my uncle the chicken farmer always hated that. I rmember seeing a few bodies there.
    I didn't realize you had such a large flock of 30! I hope some of your newer models get broody too to replace the lost. King Kong is going to be very pretty! I hope he gets yo have alot of chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness - I'm sorry about Mame.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snaggle Tooth -- That 30 was from 2005. I have had as many as 52 chickens and now I have 22 chickens and 7 guinea fowl. Today I am driving to the home of the people with the dogs and try to plead with them to keep their dogs home and identify the culprits.

    Lynn -- Mame was such a beautiful bird. She was a Brahma hen and I had to walk through mud up to my ankles a few years ago to select her from the sale flock. She has given us many beautiful large eggs.

    ReplyDelete


  10. I am so sorry about Mame...I love that Jack's boy, King Kong, is soon going to be the leader of the flock.

    The next girl born should be called Fay Wray. She spent many an hour in the arms of King Kong on the 86th floor of The Empire State Building....

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com