Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A BLANK SLATE


How are you inspired by a blank page? Every time I start a new writing project or an art project, I must have a blank page. If there is already a word or a single mark on the paper, that paper must be rejected. How can I influence a single page that is already tainted with some incomplete inspiration?

I am attempting to do my Christmas decorating for company that will be here on Saturday. Before I put up the decorations, my efforts are being geared toward a clean slate. I am putting away the normal room decorations and dusting and cleaning before I bring in the tinsel and lights.

This process has yielded some trash piles and some keep piles. The "keep" pile consists primarily of old pads of paper, both legal pads and sketch pads. These pads have been well used but each still contains numerous blank sheets and I cannot discard them for fear they await some masterpiece. These blank sheets seem to be taking me over and I wonder if I will run out of storage room someday.

Am I alone in my OCD over blank pages?



8 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:16 AM

    I honestly HAVE "OCD" and I have grand plans in my mind that never get to the "truth in action" stage.

    When I go home next month, I TRULY PLAN to experience RAGE at the clothes that haven't been worn; the blankets I've kept because they "might come in handy some day" and the pads of paper, then THROW THEM AWAY WITH RAGE! Maybe this technique might work with you. It's the only way that leads to ACTION where I'm concerned.

    GET MAD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never even thought about things like that on your terms. I look around and if it hasn't been used in a really long time, then OUT it goes. At this point in my life I am tired of all the clutter and it's driving me nuts. Maybe that comes with getting older for me. Did you always think that way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post Annie. I have a few blank slates but it will pages to write,
    Most unusual subject.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have OCD in so many ways I can't list them here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope, it's not just you. I can't be creative on messy paper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me it isn't about creativity. I just can't toss a piece of perfectly good paper! If it's in a notebook I have to salvage it before the notebook gets tossed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have piles of paper from the office max back to school sale. I take all the extra paper to work for the kids. I do not toss blank paper either. Always good for doodling at a long meeting.

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com