Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Thursday, November 08, 2007

REUNION RUN DOWN

We contacted our family that we were home. I had to ask my brother and SIL how they ever left that part of the country. My brother attended Duke years ago and they both loved living there. My SIL said if not for family and friends back here, she could have easily stayed.

Our activities at the reunion are
detailed here for anyone interested.

The emotioinal highlight for me was our banquet speaker. Our guest speaker was Command Master Chief Mike Conran, formerly of the USS Mahan (DDG-72), heading for a prestigious billet as Command Master Chief of all destroyers, both Atlantic and Pacific.

Master Chief Conran gave an inspiring talk to a sea of shipmate faces who know what it means to be an American citizen above all other things. These sailors served on the USS Mahan from WWII through current day Iraq. I was in tears as he talked about our nation's lack of pride in citizenship. We are not even teaching our children what it means to be a United States citizen. He talked about the media and how distorted their reporting is. He watched first hand things that happened in Iraq only to listen to the news reports that were totally wrong. Once he actually heard ABC announce that "Nothing happened in Iraq today." He said something always happens in Iraq but most of it is good and that is not considered worth reporting by the media.

1 comment:

  1. I would have been inspired by his speech too.
    I hope the happenings in Iraq get SO good and SO positive that the media will be forced to report good news. I hope for victory and for all those who have served to be honored and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com