Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Sunday, January 07, 2007

ANOTHER TRADITION

Everyone observes special holiday traditions. Memories are made of what we did as children and traditions we passed on to our children. I have one tradition that I'm not sure my children follow or if they even remember.

Putting away the decorations is a big deal. My mother and I both cannot wait to put away our decorations. I don't know what that is about. We enjoy Christmas a lot. We like to look at decorations and we follow tradition in putting them out, but we both breath a sigh of relief when our decorations are down.

My personal tradition has grown out of what is left out. No matter how hard I try, I always leave something out after the Christmas containers are closed and put away. Somewhere along the way I decided, if it's left out, it's out for the year.

Two years ago our grandson Joey was here through Christmas and I challenged him to help me put away the decorations. I told him we wanted to be sure and get everything because anything we missed would stay out all year. We both worked diligently and we gathered up everything -- everything. We stood back and looked and we walked around and looked and we closed the containers and put them away.

When Ron and I returned from the airport sending Joey back to California, I saw the decoration the moment we turned toward our house. There was a small, hanging basket of Christmas greenery. I looked at that basket all year and remembered the special Christmas with Joey.

I always leave something out and I never try to leave something out. I truly make every effort to put everything away. What I leave out is always something of special significance or at least it becomes something special after being out all year. As I glimpse it through the following year it makes me smile.

This year I stacked ALL the decorations in the middle of the living room. I left them there for two days as I walked and looked and checked and re-checked. The second day I spotted a Santa placed over the door and said Ah Ha! Gotcha! I added it to the stack and put the decorations in the container. The lid was closed and the trunk put away.

As if it had been invisible, I walked into the living room and stepped on a floor mat that had bells on it and read, "Happy Holidays". I moved it to the utility room and it is out for the year.

Who says the Spirit of Christmas leaves after the holidays? I always have a reminder of the true Gift of Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. Well, you have beaten me to it. I was about to write a post about the very same thing!

    "No matter how hard I try, I always leave something out after the Christmas containers are closed and put away."

    The same thing happens to me every year. This year I said to myself, go through each room, slowly looking at everything, so that you don't miss any Christmas stuff. I thought I had done a good job of that, so we carried everything up into the attic. Since then (3 days) I have found 3 or 4 items that should have gone into the boxes. I give up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is gone in my house but the Christmas Cards are still out

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com