Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Monday, February 27, 2006

T.G.I. MONDAY

Thank God It's Monday? What kind of a statement is that? That is the statement of retired persons. Every day is a "TGI" day.

For more than 30 years I would wake up on Mondays and start planning my wardrobe and making work plans. It was stressful. It was painful. It was fun -- fun, mixed in with the stress and pain.

I am not officially "retired" because I'm not yet 65. I had the greatest good fortune to fall in love and marry a man who did not insist, but did encourage me to leave the workplace and he would be willing to support me. That did not compute at first in my type A driven personality. I was planning to reman gainfully employed until I was 70. It literally took me two years after I resigned to quit jumping out of bed in the morning and heading for the panty hose, high heels and suit.

Once in a while, like this morning, I still recall those work years. This morning I am remembering them for the genuine friends that surfaced amid the corporate crap and crud.

Saturday we attended a funeral for one of my previous co-worker's dad. I thought of all the times this friend has been there for me. If I had not been a banker, I would not have met her. We went through bank merger-madness together, bank robbery together, my children's antics, the arrival of her children, special celebrations, happiness, losses, sadness, illness etc., etc.

Coming away from a job with loving, loyal friends is the kind of thing that truly makes careers worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com