Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Sunday, March 27, 2005

EASTER MESSAGE

My Easter message was received this morning on Meet The Press, of all places! A group of scholars (?) and theologians-politicians (?) were gathered to speak on Faith. A Catholic priest, two Protestants, One Jew, One Islam were there and Jon Meacham, who I assume is Christian. I always search the messengers for the voice of Dad. I heard it this morning in the voice of Jon Meacham, NEWSWEEK Managing Editor. Most of these men (notice ALL males invited to speak) were arrogant and puffed up with their own agendas. They were trying to answer the questions of politics and religion i.e. government involvement on life or death issue in the news. (I learned from Jessi not to mention the name on my blog to keep out searchers.) Meacham's words of wisdom were founded in the following simple statements:


For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. I Cor. 13:12 KJV

And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Philippians 4: 7-19 KJV


Psalm 19:14 - Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Finally he paraphrased Job with
"....you simply won't understand this -- endure so we will prevail."

Dad always told me that he would not give me the answers. He would provide scripture to search and articles to read that pertained to my questions. I was then to derive my own answer. He shockingly told me that I might never have all the answers in this lifetime but my continued search was the important thing. I know how desperately I wanted him to simply outline the answers for me. I remember yelling at him once, "You're a preacher. You stand up in front of all those people on Sunday and they listen to you and look to you for answers. Why won't you give them to me!" That's when I realized he only gave them more food for thought too. The search is tiring, the arguments are tiring, but I always come away with new insight and basically am happy to keep looking if only to see through the glass darkly for now.

HAPPY EASTER TO ONE AND ALL ON THIS MOST HOLY DAY..

Spring Break report to follow :-)

1 comment:

  1. You bet, brother, I wanna hear. Interesting to know you have "some" answers. I still have "more" questions :-)

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com