Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Sunday, July 07, 2024

SUNDAY TALKING...07-07-2024

 ANOTHER CHICKEN SAGA...

Wednesday morning I had 13 hens.  That night when I closed the house I only  had 12.  Got in my golf cart and circled the property in terrible heat.  No luck finding the lost chicken or her remains.  It was another sad night for me. Some predator had swooped in and claimed dinner. Could have been that scrawny coyote or one of the neighbor's dogs or a black bear (yikes).

Thursday morning I had 12 hens.  The heat index that day was 109.  Thursday night I counted 11 hens.  Searched in the hen house and found one poor girl dead in the corner from heat exhaustion.

Friday and Saturday we went to the local Chicken Swap Meet.  I purchased four very healthy girls for the brood..  Right now they are in a big cage in the pen getting acquainted with the 11. Last time we brought in some new girls the existing hens beat them up.  This time we will leave the new ones in their own cage while they get acquainted with the clan. When we turn them loose with the group I have no concerns about the new girls because I am betting they can whoop the others. These four new girls are big, healthy, beautiful and able to stand their ground.

 

Cannot wait to let them out and take a good close up of them.

These are a little far South from me but some have been spotted near here.


5 comments:

  1. Yikes! I hope you don't lose any more hens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered about the animals in this heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have some way to keep the hens cooler in this terrible heat? Is there shade around the pen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did put a large box fan inside and the girls are spending most of their time right in front of it.

      Delete
  4. I hope everyone is doing well, I have some news to share today.... In the next week I am moving to NOLA and hoping this new journey will put me back into the attitude that change is good. So much to do and not enough time to do it. I am so thankful for all the wonderful people in my life (including Pedro Jerome) a loan lender that support me at all times I am excited and also worried my life has been such a downer for so long that getting out of it has been hard, but I do really feel that this change is going to be the best thing I need right now, and I have hopes that all good things do come to those that wait.
    I'm thanking a loan lender who helped me with a loan of 1 millions dollars to boost up my business once again at the rate of 2% annual return which is so wonderful, and I would like anyone stuck in financial situation to reach out to Pedro the loan lender on pedroloanss@gmail.com WhatsApp: +393510140339. For loan assistance.
    So please keep me in your thoughts, and thanks to this blog I can at least keep in contact with all of you.


    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com