Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Saturday, September 24, 2022

LOOK WHAT I AM INTO NOW...

 You are all aware that I am busy attending book reviews.  Well, now I am hosting monthly book reviews at our local Senior Center.  Our Center proposed that a local reviewer come to us and do some book reviews but there would be a charge of $50.  Since we are a non-profit organization, I agreed to try some book reviews at no charge.  For October I will review THE SILENT PATIENT which was heard at one I attended and then for November I will review EMPIRE OF PAIN.  If you have not read this book you must.  


Empire of Pain: The Secret History of the Sackler Dynasty is a 2021 book by Patrick Radden Keefe. The book examines the history of the Sackler family, including the founding of Purdue Pharma, their role in the marketing of pharmaceuticals, and the family's central role in the opioid epidemic.

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It seems to be a very popular endeavor in our area now and I am eager to participate.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an interesting endeavor. Enjoy.
    I will see if my library has the Empire of Pain. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly not a book of joy. It tells the true story of the beginning of the opioid crisis in our country and the greedy men who started it.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful of you to do this, Annie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have definitely needed to get rolling on something besides awaiting the grim reaper.

      Delete
  4. I don't think that is something I'd want to read. I'm a fiction girl. Kudos to you on doing reviews though, I know I couldn't do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lost a nephew to opioid addiction that began after he had back surgery. It was heartbreaking to watch his chase to more and more and finally to see him leave us in his 50s.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like something right up your alley!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is definitely good to be busy with something other than TV. However I still love the television too.

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com