Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Wednesday, January 26, 2022

WORDS FOR WEDNESDAY - 01-26-2022

 The prompts will be here this month and are provided by Hilary Melton-Butcher and posted by Elephant's Child.

THE HILLS ARE ALIVE by Granny Annie

This was a perfect day to leave my cottage after being in quarantine. A nice walk would be bliss. It was just a small hill but a place of beauty covered by mosses. My heart demanded that I make the climb. Wearing my good Wellington Boots, the journey began.

It was a joy to view the sedge in bloom. There were horses being exercised on the heath. They seemed to be involved in a race.

I loved to view the murmuration taking place above me. The birds created art of their own.I was concentrating on the starlings and I failed to see the fissure in my path. My boots got caught in the split earth I could not get my foot out of the boot. It had twisted and latched on. It would surely take the strength of Ajax to free me. The sky was darkening and the weather would soon turn much colder. I was glad the hedge wall nearby created a windbreak that would keep me from freezing.

I could hear the thresh of wheat and called loudly for the workers. Hopefully they would come and free me from this dilemma. I tore at the boot and could not pull my foot out. Suddenly I was inspired to speak to the hill and pat the soft dirt. “Please let me go” I begged. The earth slowly moved and opened wide to allow my release.


9 comments:

  1. Good story....nice use of the prompts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A brilliant piece with an unexpected and lovely ending. Hooray for politeness and good manners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad the earth let you go. I would have been digging at it and breaking every fingernail to get loose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do a great job in weaving the words into a tale without breaking the flow. I could picture the woman on the mossy hill and the wind blowing her about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The day had such a lovely start when the accident happened. I'm glad Earth was in a forgiving mood and released her. Sometimes we just need to ask nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes even an "inanimate" object will respond to a kind request.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so good at this.

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com