Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Thursday, December 23, 2021

WORDS FOR WEDNESDAY (ON THURSDAY) - 12-23-2021

 

Prompts for December provided by Elephant's Child


This Week's Prompts are:

Bird

Lifetime

Impossible

Days

Dreams

Meet

and/or

Spider

Thread

Secret

Thing

Author

Recesses

WAITING by Granny Annie

I put up the bird feeder and waited. It was filled to the brim and in my dreams I imagined the cardinals, sparrows and chickadees meeting as they selected their treats. Several days of waiting felt like a lifetime. I believed it was impossible that they would ever return.

Waiting for the birds to appear made me dig into the deep recesses of my brain. What had happened to the author of stories on Faith that I had once been? It is Christmas time, yet I could not feel the thread of joy that had once filled my childhood. What is the secret that caused this dismissal?  What made my heart seem an empty thing. Was there a wicked spider crawling inside me that rejoiced in my doubt?

There was movement outside my kitchen window. I paused to see birds dancing and flitting around the feeder. They had come back! I opened the storage closet and began getting down the Christmas decorations as comfort and joy filled me and music filled the air.

8 comments:

  1. Hooray for the return of the birds. And for comfort and joy - for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saved by the birds. They definitely earned their food by restoring faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They give us so much more when all we do is feed them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice story. I'm glad the return of the birds brought your Christmas spirit too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad the birds have returned to your feeder. They alway fill me with delights. If only the squirrels would not damage the feeders, even the squirrel proof ones.

    Merry Christmas.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job, Annie! Just wanted to drop by to say Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you a happy and blessed Christmas !

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is hopeful. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com