Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

WORDS FOR WEDNESDAY 8-23-17

It is time for stories and poems using the word prompts.  You may post on your own blog or in the comment section here or in River's comment section. August words have been provided by River of Drifting Through Life.   

Here is my story for this week using the words dusk, apples, knitting, sauce, amethyst, window and itching, silk, gossamer, security, turbulent, exquisite.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE by Granny Annie

It was almost dusk when I saw a man walking over the hill. He was carrying apples tucked in his shirt. Immediately I dropped my knitting because I knew who this fellow was. He was my grandson and he had grandma's special homemade apple cobbler on his mind. He could already taste it covered with my butter-cinnamon sauce.

The darkening sky was the backdrop that framed him. It appeared crystalline and the color of amethyst. I started counting his steps as I watched from the window.

If only I could run toward him but I was too feeble. My hands were itching to reach out and touch this young sailor. I had not seen him since his deployment to Yemen and tears puddled on my silk blouse then spread into a gossamer pattern.

Fear had surrounded me when I first heard that he would be gone for a year. It was a difficult time as I counted the hours, days and weeks. Now a sudden sense of security filled me, replacing turbulent thoughts with exquisite calm.

Welcome home my dear, dear boy” I cried as he hugged me in a loving embrace.

9 comments:

  1. This is lovely. And I suspect true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh Annie I had a lump in my throat after reading that. I loved the placement of the chosen words. Mines on the blog tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I do love a happy ending, especially when apple pie/cobbler/strudel is also part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet, sweet story. Thanks for the warm smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an inspiring and moving work. I was there with her even though no grandson of mine has been deployed to a dangerous area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tough to let them go off n trust they will return.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely, touching story, Annie...and I can almost taste that apple cobbler! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Annie, I really like this story, I could almost feel her anticipation and love for her grandson, very nice.

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com