Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Monday, October 06, 2008

BARNYARD ELECTIONS

THESE ARE LOOK-ALIKE ROOSTERS OF LEGS (TOP) AND ELVIS AND ELIZABETH (BOTTOM).


Elizabeth had a twin rooster. Hatched at almost the same time, Elizabeth and Elvis were idential big red roosters except for a fancy fluff at the base of Elvis' tail feathers.

Many of you know that we currently have a surplus of roosters, even with the recent demise of Elizabeth. We credited his death to a passing dog or coyote. I think we were wrong.

Our big roosters of the six were Elizabeth, Elvis and Legs. The largest of our surplus roosters is Legs. He is a strong and hearty, Ameraucana mix rooster. He is a good looking fellow and has been nice until recently. I saw Legs go after Elvis a few days ago and the brief fight sounded like the clash of the Titans. Since that day Elvis had changed his roosting spot from the hen house to the stall next door, an obvious indicator that Legs won the fight.

Perhaps the death of Elizabeth was murder by Legs. Perhaps Elvis is next as Legs does what roosters do to take his place as the King of Rooster Hill.

10 comments:

  1. Legs is so gorgeous!! I hope he doesn't commit murder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. its natures way of keeping the breed strong and healthy. I gotta admit Legs looks like one healthy specimen. (ya get many double yoke eggs?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Legs is beautifully intimidating. I can see why Elvis would change his roosting spot at the site of that guy!

    I just wish Elvis a long and happy life. After all HE is the King. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Legs is sure beautiful, but I won't let his overwhelming beauty keep me from being sound minded and full of common sense. I figure that Legs is a murderer because he can't stand for another good looking rooster to horn in on his glory. Elvis did the right thing to back down.
    Elvis will live to sing another day.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe Elvis is busily planning revenge. I don't think this struggle to be top male is over yet. Gee this is better than a good soap opera!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are pretty...or handsome I should say!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rough, tough life out there, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't blame Elvis for moving. I'M scared of Legs! But they are absolutely gorgeous creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful roosters! We always end up with an overabundance of roosters too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I should have titled this post "Elvis has left the building". Anyway he was back in the chicken house last night but he looked like he was hiding pressed tightly between two hens. He spends his days alone in the front yard while Legs and the other chickens are in the back. Sprinkle, you are wise to be wary of big roosters. I know they can do harm. Jamie, Elvis might have been wise to back down. She, what do you do with your abundance of roosters? I can't bring myself to wring their necks and nobody wants roosters. Judy and Rachel you were right to notice how pretty and tough Legs is. That makes it more difficult to think of wringing his neck. Maria, Elvis is probably planning revenge and, Scarlet, thanks for reminding me that Elvis is King. Gary, we do get double yolk eggs but not a lot.

    I will keep you posted as the soap opera continues.

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com