Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

POTENTIAL CONSEQUENCES

We make comments on other posts that sometime need to be our own blog post. I said the following yesterday on TGB blog and decided I should share my opinion here as a post. I am truly convinced The New Yorker did not (and never does) go to press without weighing the potential consequences of their total content. They were interested in free publicity and increased readership.

It is simply called "marketing". Do you honestly believe The New Yorker ran this willy-nilly? No, they sat at their conference room table and weighed the public outcry this would bring and they figured the exact amount of readership they would lose and how much they would gain and went with the best odds. As (another) stated, not many people read this magazine. I live in the Heartland and don't even know where I would get a copy of The New Yorker Magazine. (Picture me on the porch in a rockin' chair with a corncob pipe hanging out of my mouth.) If the story hadn't hit the media, I would never have known what they had on the cover. It was planned, I tell you, P-L-A-N-N-E-D and we are playing right into their hands.

3 comments:

  1. The New Yorker was always such an uptown ritzy magazine, but apparently they are not beyond making an almighty buck. Of course, I think that politics have taken over every aspect of our lives....I'm so tired of this election year and we haven't even gotten to the conventions. Looks like you hit the nail on the head with your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you said it right, Annie!!! There are some things going on in this country to undermine our system. To list to some of the Neocons, Obama is evil incarnate and the usually liberal New Yorker is playing the game.

    I'm so sick of Election 2008 I could just scream and
    I know I'm not alone in that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was supposedly meant to be satirical.
    They knew it would make a splash and be discussed on all the news and radio shows.
    PLANNED is right.

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com