Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

THE ARTHUR RAVENEL JR. BRIDGE, CHARLESTON, SC

For those who know me, you know my bridge phobias. I crossed this bridge FOUR times this past week. Aren't you proud of me! I can't begin to count the number of bridges Ron has gotten me across since we met, including the Coronado Bridge in California.

The Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge carries eight 12-foot wide travel lanes and a 12 foot wide bicycle and pedestrian path. Both directions of travel include four foot inside and outside shoulders. The pedestrian lane follows the Charleston Harbor side of the bridge between Morrison Drive in Charleston and Coleman Boulevard in Mount Pleasant. Viewing platforms extend outward from each tower to allow bicyclist and pedestrians a place to view the harbor. 128 cables soar skyward anchoring the bridge deck to the towers at a maximum height of 186 feet above the shipping channel below.

1 comment:

  1. My mom has a fear of going over bridges too.
    I'm glad you made it across this one four times!!

    ReplyDelete

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com