Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

FOUND MORE THAN A SHIPMATE

My husband located an old shipmate. They served together in the early 60's. It turns out the fellow lives in Oklahoma and is only about 2 hours drive from us. It also turns out he and his wife raise BIRDS! Is this a small world or what?

We drove to their bird farm Monday and spent the day. We took them to lunch in exchange for a lot of good bird information. They primarily raise quail and ship them to all parts of the world. They opened the incubators and showed us the hatching babies. They are so tiny. They gave us a jar of pickled quail eggs with jalepeno peppers. Yum!

They have swarms of guineas and I wanted to bring a cage full home. We will have to wait until we return from Charleston to increase our flock but I was sure trying to figure out how we could bring them now. They told a story about their guinea named Rusty who lived to be 14 years old. I guess guineas can live to around 30!

Their peacock is 24 years old. I did not get his photo, but I managed to get a picture of two of his sons. If you remember we had a stray peacock named Ivan who adopted us in Kansas.

They raise turkeys and game birds. It is not a huge operation but is certainly larger than what we have going. I never want to have that many birds but I do see the fun in increasing our guinea fowl flock and I would love to have some quail.

I also want a mule, some goats, maybe a llama or two........Okay, it's not gonna happen. We only have ten acres. But it is so nice to know we can expand some.


No comments:

Post a Comment

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com