Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Thursday, February 02, 2006

ACTUALLY TWENTY-NINE

Today Jessi is really 29. Twenty-nine years ago her mother called me on the phone and said, “Ann, my water just broke. Do you think I should call the doctor?”

Here is a poem I wrote for Jessi not so long ago when she was in college.

Happy Birthday Jessi.
You are a special person I know.
It is time this godmother got in gear
And properly told you so.

Jessi is a great collector
Of CDs, of friends, of thoughts.
She concentrates with confidence
On the “haves” never the “have-nots”.

Born a fragile, beautiful Princess
Like Diana, there is grace in the chore
Of pretending to bow and give the lead
To a conspicuous Emperor :-)

Grown more beautiful, less fragile,
As she turns 21 today.
A woman preparing a future
That will change the world some way.

Her religion is found in movies
Different opinions don’t turn her back
THE ENGLISH PATIENT stirred her compassion
Her faith uncovered in CONTACT.

She moves forward in life with resolve.
She rarely requires a shove.
Her giving is without expectation
As she casually lives an example of love.

Happy Birthday Jessi
February 2, 1998
I am so proud to be a part of your life. Love, Ann

And, I am still proud to be a part of your life this birthday, 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com