Frankie and Slim

Frankie and Slim
Happy New Year

Thursday, November 10, 2005

MURDERING TIME

It is that time of year again. The cold weather brings out the hungry, wild predators and they stalk my chickens. Last night I went down to close the chickens in their house, only to find the remains of the day. The living chickens were packed tightly in the house and I could not get an accurate count, but it appeared that two chickens were missing, though only one chicken body was on the ground. It is a sad event for me to find a murdered chicken. I have been so proud about my cautious care and attention to the 30 chickens, only to learn that the predators will prevail if determined enough.

This morning in the light of day Inspector Ron will join me in the pen to investigate and see if any tracks were left that will identify the assailant. I guess my only job will be to make the chalk outline of the deceased chicken, try to identify the body and count the survivors. I make light only because it truly pains me so.

On a happier note, we are expecting a blessed event as any day now the broody hen should begin hatching her chicken children. The cycle proceeds as new birth follows death.

No comments:

Post a Comment

lizziebethgeneral@gmail.com